Search the Sip Tip

Looking for something on this site? Use this search to find it.

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Experiments in Roasting Vol. 1

Alright, so maybe I'm bored, maybe I'm just trying to learn more about tea. But I've been somewhat craving a classic roast Ti guan yin, but all I had was this jade TGY that came from teacuppa today.

This also stems from the Aged TGY I reviewed earlier possibly needing a bit of re-roasting. Now there are places you can buy tea roasters, but I wanted to to a bit of a test to see if I really need to get one of the roasting machines.

I used a wok on the stove over medium heat for about 30 minutes. Checking it and stirring it every 5. I had a lid placed over the wok to keep in some of the heat, and create a more oven like situation.

Color of the brew is clear brown.

The roasting definitely comes out in the smell along with a raspberry smell. And something that doesn't quite smell right, that is very sour.

I don't quite know how to describe this, it has smooth beginning with an oily taste comming in after that, and the finish is a light toast, but there is this sourness in there which I'm not sure where its comming from and its not likeable at first, but the more I drink it the more I want it. Its more sweet and sour.

So if your daring try this way of roasting tea at home.

Edit: The awkard sour flavor dissipated for the second infusion perhaps it will also dissipate with time?

I am sending away a sample to a friend to see what he thinks, and saving enough for one more try, which I will do in a week.

No comments:

Bottom Banner