Search the Sip Tip

Looking for something on this site? Use this search to find it.

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Hibiki-an Kuradashi Sencha

Kuradashi Sencha

This is not quite a tea review, it is just my thoughts on my experience with this particular sencha. Hibiki-an I believe each fall releases their Kuradashi line, which at least this year included Sencha, Gyokuro and Matcha.

What makes these special are the fact that they are aged for quite some time, sadly the Sencha has sold out, so I can not double check the length but I thought it was 18 months. Something that seems almost contradictory to most conventional wisdom on green teas that they are best when fresh as possible. But from this tea and several other things I have noticed lately, sometimes it seems green teas at least Japanese green teas can actually benefit from a slight bit of aging.

Though in terms of this tea it really seems like a hybrid between Sencha and Gyokuro, in which is is aged but not shade grown. The other hybrid being Kabusecha which is slightly shade grown but typically not aged. But this tea through my many sessions with it, has always offered up a lovely nutty and grain like characteristic, that is actually rather mellow.


No comments:

Bottom Banner