Search the Sip Tip

Looking for something on this site? Use this search to find it.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

February ATB Blog Carnival

This carnival is hosted by Cinnabar over at Gongfugirl and focuses on the question:

What is the most uncomfortable place where you prepared tea (work, traveling, in a place without suitable equipment, etc.) and how were you able to overcome the difficulty?

I have actually written articles about this topic several times in the past year, one of which was about preparing tea in an Academic Grad Student office, in which chalk dust clouds all the fine points of senses. The other one about a less than ideal situation, but incredibly enjoyable although the tea was downright dreadful while in Venice Italy.

But I may say both of those situations make the setting in which I started getting serious about loose leaf teas seem like luxurious set ups. A freshman in a dorm without a kitchen, with no real access to a kitchen, and any sort of heating element strictly banned, but I had loose leaf tea and I wanted to drink tea. Not to mention I had no ceramic cups.

So how did I prepare tea? I shudder to think of it now, but I used tap water, poured into empty and cleaned paper coffee cups, microwaved till warm (we were allowed to have a certain type of pre approved minifridge/ microwave combo). Then threw in a fill it yourself teabag, often with a black tea, but occasionally a oolong.

Even though I enjoyed those cups of tea, I think it may have been the reason why it took two more years for me to think of tea as anything more than a caffeine delivery system. Though clearly as I enjoyed it, it speaks for either the enduring classic taste of the tea leaf.

No comments:

Bottom Banner