Search the Sip Tip

Looking for something on this site? Use this search to find it.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Closed Minded

Sencha 7132 O-Cha

As much as I hate to admit it, but my whole entire experience with tea has been one giant lesson in why you should be open minded. While I have always wanted to try as many teas as possible, to often do I find myself dismissing entire categories of tea as sub par, or just plain not for me, I am consistently having eye opening experiences which always make me reconsider my views.


In the past I had written off Japanese teas, red/black teas, exceptionally green oolongs, and shu puerh, as just not doing it for me. Amazingly enough I know likely drink more Japanese Tea than any other type, and have since sworn off not having at least some hong cha in stock. Now I am quite content in saying I have no problem giving any tea a try, as long as it is pure C. Sinensis.

Though this almost begs the question, am I being to narrow/closed minded by avoiding herbal tisanes, flavored teas, while I do not mind the occasional Earl Grey, I really am not interested in a Caramel Mocha black tea, or a peppermint patty green tea. (If any company actually produces those tea flavors I apologize). These "teas" offer an interesting conundrum, in the sense that am I seeking to have a good understanding of things people around her refer to as Tea. I mean I always feel like a bit of a snob when I tell a person I know I drink a lot of tea, and they go on to tell me about how they love some tea which I wouldn't want to touch any of my teaware, even the porcelain. I am unsure if I am closed minded regarding those "teas" because I refuse to acknowledge them as a category of "true tea".

Though flavored tea offers a bit more confusion. Do I through out Jasmine teas, Lapsang Souchong, and other very historic teas with long standing traditions which are technically flavored?

Teaware Display

2 comments:

A Student Of Tea said...

Being open minded is certainly a good thing.

Limiting oneself to a certain area in order to get to know it deeply and thoroughly is also a good strategy.

I personally often feel a little uneasy at the immense choice of teas that we have today which is historically certainly unprecedented. Everything is available, but tea is conected to culture, and I can't just buy that. So in one sense there is very little tea available. I probably want to make more use of the deliberate limitation strategy.

Martin

Alex Zorach said...

It is definetely subjective, and tricky to establish a cutoff, about pure teas vs. flavored teas. I've thought about this a lot. For example, many Chinese green teas are pan-fired and the fuel (such as wood smoke) used for the fire imparts a flavor to the tea...but it's often much subtler than even the less-smoky Lapsang souchongs. Is that flavored?

I just say, make the choice wherever you want to. =)

Bottom Banner