Search the Sip Tip

Looking for something on this site? Use this search to find it.

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Searching for Amazing Green teas

I am issuing a challenge to myself, to seek out amazing green teas. As it is already well into July I may need to wait almost an entire year to seek out some very high quality and fresh Chinese greens. I would like to solicit some recommendations as to where I can find and order (online) some of the best green teas from the following categories: Gyokuro, Sencha, Matcha, Long Jing, Bi Lo Chun, and a few other Chinese Green Teas.

I will say I am a bit clueless as where to find some very high quality Chinese greens. I do want to try a Japanese Temomicha (hand made tea). I will also be trying some Korean Green teas also, but there are very few places online that those are available and I have already started sourcing some.

In a couple of days I will post my first contender, for the title of the best green tea. I will say that this one is a doozy, and based on some of the great green teas I have tried already, this will be incredibly hard to beat.

Teas I feel should be on the list to try:

Matcha:
Wakamatsu-no-mukashi (ippodo)


Gyokuro:
Tenka-iichi (ippodo)
Yume no Ukihashi (O-Cha)

Sencha:
Ujibashi San no Ma (O-Cha)
Kaboku (Ippodo)

(Need suggestions for Fukamushi and Chumushi suggestions).


Long Jing: (Some or all of the following)
Lion Xi Hu Long Jing (Teaspring)
Emperor Long Jing (Teaspring)
Shi Feng Long Jing (Jing Tea Shop)
Wang Jia Shan Long Jing (Jing Tea Shop)

Again I am looking for suggestions, so if you have had an absolutely amazing green tea please let me know.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try the LongJing at Postcard teas.
TokyoB

Anonymous said...

For fukamushi sencha I recommend Takumi from Zencha. It is a Yame tea (not Shizuoka).

http://www.zencha.net/products_yame.php

Elliot Knapp said...

I recommend trying Xu Fu Long Ya from Teaspring; it's a good example of a really legume-y Chinese green, which is a flavor profile that often comes up but is different from longjing. Have fun!

IRK said...

For Gyo..I would add just about any of the Yamashita line over at Maiko.

Eugenius Smith said...

As far as green teas from China, Lu Shan Yun Wu is a pretty interesting example as its "natural" growing conditions on Mt. Lu mimick the processing that goes into producing gyokuro (or vice-versa) in Japan. I got mine from a brick-and-mortar shop, so I'm afraid I can't help with finding a good example.

May your adventures be fruitful, I await the results of your trials with bated breath.

-Eugenius

Alex Zorach said...

I have had great experiences with green teas from Life in Teacup.

My favorite was the Wild tea Orchid Fairy Twig 900m, from Wuyuan. If you've had other Wuyuan teas you will definitely recognize the characteristic aroma of green teas from this region, but this one was just exquisite.

Gingko from Life in Teacup goes on a summer retreat though so you cannot order (well, you can pre-order by email, but it will not be shipped) until September 5.

Next year if you want to order the spring harvest teas from this company, you need to get them earlier. I really recommend it though, it is worth it...everything I've tried from Life in Teacup has been top notch.

Michel said...

try the sparrows tail from the essence of Tea

A very very fine tea

vacuithe said...

"Try the LongJing at Postcard teas.
TokyoB"

+1 !

Marcel said...

I'm not an expert on Longjing by any means but Master Luo's Longjing from Postcard Teas/East Teas is excellent, and seems to be very well regarded among connoisseurs. The 2011 offering is divided into 3 depending on the day it was picked, so it might be interesting to compare them.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I will definitely need to check out the Long Jing from Postcard Teas!

Although for Chinese teas I have always heard they are best when quite fresh so I will likely put off ordering those till next March/ April.

Bottom Banner