Search the Sip Tip

Looking for something on this site? Use this search to find it.

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Jeong Jae Yeun Hwang-Cha

Park Jong Il Teapot Staining

This Hwang-Cha has a rather interesting story behind it.  While this could be a little bit of marketing, I really enjoy Hwang Cha, the price was good, and I like supporting small business.  This tea, and the teaset I am brewing it in came by way of Morning Crane Tea.

Jeong Jae Yeun Hwang Cha


The dry leaves look great, slender twisted leaves, that are oh so dark. They also have a lovely soft scent of both pine, and chocolate. The taste of the brew is rather hard to explain, it is oddly satisfying, though not overly strong.  A hint of rice, and touches of some light and delicate fruits (though lacking the sweetness).

Jeong Jae Yeun Hwang Cha Brew

Excuse me while I go off and sip this tea in the relaxed focus it gives me. 

5 comments:

Brett said...

We've got few bags of this tea (from Morning Crane of course) here at Phoenix Tea. It is just incredible.

Anonymous said...

I've been reading Arthur's blog at Morning Crane Tea and am thinking of acquiring one of Park Jong's II teapots. Is your teapot here glazed or unglazed and how does it handle tea??
- Jeff

Unknown said...

Jeff,

My teapot is glazed and it handles tea wonderfully. I am not sure which one you are looking at but if it is similar to the one I have pictured above you have to be able to like the staining of cracks in the glaze from repeated use. My teapot showed the staining very very quickly, and now it almost looks ancient.

It can probably honestly handle almost any tea ( maybe not sencha), pouring it takes a little bit of practice, as they can sometimes dribble a bit if you are over eager to pour.

I hope this helps.

Adam.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Adam,
I am looking at some very similar teapots, but some are glazed on the inside and some aren't.
Sorry, I should have specified. Is your teapot glazed on the inside and if not how does that affect the tea? Personally, I'm thinking of purchasing an inner glazed pot so I can drink more variety from it, but I heard the outside may not develop as much patina, which yours has so beautifully built.
Kind Regards, Jeff

Unknown said...

Jeff,

Mine is glazed on the inside, and yes it does seem to handle all teas wonderfully. In fact I would use it so much more if it weren't a tad on the large side of what I like to normally brew. But then again I use mine for Balhyocha which I do not brew as strong as say Yancha or several other teas so it is not as bad.

Adam.

Bottom Banner