Search the Sip Tip

Looking for something on this site? Use this search to find it.

Friday, July 30, 2010

Two 2010 Long Jing teas

Sometimes I feel certain things are contagious, as Brandon over at Wrong fu Cha introduced this double brew method for Long Jing. And having learned a lot from Brandon over the years even meeting him in person once, this sounded so interesting I thought I should give it a try.

These two 2010 Long Jings are both Pre-ming and were provided as samples from Chinese Cha dao on ebay.

Special Grade:
The leaves of the special grade are a bit larger and as such they emphasize the somewhat irregular shapes I heard were common this year due to abnormal weather conditions.

I must say this is quite unique, I have never had a Chinese green that was that smooth, yet so full of flavor. Perhaps its just the condition of my palate right now, but it was loaded with melon flavors, such as honey due, and cantaloupe. Coming from a pale green brew that looks more like I collected the due off of blades of grass.

What is rather interesting is in the third infusion it developed a bit of a sour taste, like that often found in a cherry.

1st grade:
The first grade tea when prepared this way, has a much stronger apple, and malt taste. In fact it reminds me quite a bit of some Belgian style beers I have had. Most noticably in how sweet this tea comes across.


From Chinese Tea

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Adam,
I think the smoothness that we find in our teas is also affected by our (increasing) brewing skills, not just by the tea itself. At least, in my case, I have noticed that my study regarding water and pouring had a direct effect on the smoothness of the teas that I brew. It is true that some teas are smoother than others, but I just want to check if you feel the same way, regarding brewing skills and smoothness.

Regards,
Cosmin (@caleaceaiului).

Brett said...

Thanks Adam, I've only tasted one great Long Jin this season. (It was the Red Blossom's Panan.) I guess this season has been all about the Japanese greens for me because I've had access to some incredible ones.

I sure hope next year will be a bit kinder to our Chinese green tea producing friends.

Sir William of the Leaf said...

I tried this method as well.
I felt that it gave the tea a pretty heavy mouthfeel as well.
The sweetness of the tea was also brought out.
It would be worth steeping all long jings this way as well as traditionally.

Bottom Banner