Search the Sip Tip

Looking for something on this site? Use this search to find it.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Lazy Tea

What I have been worrying about has happened, my graduate studies are taking up so much time, that I really have to make time for a good session of tea. the biggest problem, is I still want to keep drinking tea as often as I was previously. This has lead to what I am calling "Lazy Tea."

Its rather funny that my "lazy tea" is basically western style brewed tea, though often a Chinese tea brewed in a Japanese glazed Kyusu. Honestly I feel it is what works best for getting work done, while still enjoying tea.

It wasn't until I started doing this, that I realized this would probably be the ideal set up for me, should I ever make tea in an office type setting.

Though I would be interested in hearing what other people have for Office set ups? I honestly would personally like to stay away from a Gaiwan as I feel they can be too easily tipped.

7 comments:

Tom said...

I use a simplified version of gongfu in my office. Electric kettle filled with our office water cooler spring water (decent enough stuff), 4 ounce gaiwan, a single sizable ceramic cup, and a filter. Does the job nicely. I'll try to get a photo up on my Flickr this week.

MarshalN said...

Grandpa style was my preferred choice

Unknown said...

MarshalN,

When I saw that you commented, I was almost sure you were going to mention Grandpa style. Which while it sounds attractive I still need to fine tune my abilities, as I usually end up with lots of leaves floating on top, which make it awfully hard to drink more than a tiny sip at once.

Tom,

That does sound like another way to go, but are you not worried that you will accidentally bump the gaiwan? It seems to me that many gaiwans are created taller and have somewhat of a small base for their size. Though I have seen some that are rather short and stout with might be sturdy enough.

MarshalN said...

You just have to pick the right kind of leaves for the floating to not be a problem

Alex Zorach said...

In an office environment, I tend to brew either in a medium-sized mug and use a stainless-steel cylinder infuser, or for large whole-leaf teas, I sometimes just brew directly in the mug.

I often make multiple infusions but never gong fu style. With the better teas I do a 3,5, 8 minute or 2,3,5 minute sequence, or something like that, depending on the type of tea. Other teas I brew twice or just once.

I do like some of the time-consuming elements of making tea...I think they enhance rather than inhibit productivity. They focus the mind on a different sort of task from what you are typically faced with in an office...the process, and not just the tea, helps rejuvenate you.

Tom said...

I have lots of desk space, so there's no worry of bumping into the gaiwan. In fact, I have to turn my chair 90 degrees to be in tea-making position.

Here's a rather poor photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_skua/5032808615/

Kort said...

Yep, it is easier to go Western style in an office setting. It all depends on the office though.

Bottom Banner