Search the Sip Tip

Looking for something on this site? Use this search to find it.

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Celebrate 2012 like...

MTR60sSX(2)

I'm celebrating 2012 like it's in the 1960's, with a tea from the Mandarin's Tea Room (their 1960's Shui Xian ) to be exact.  I love tasting these tea's, even though I can not do it often it is always a surprise. Most surprising about this tea, it seemed to have been getting better each subsequent day (finished day 3 earlier today).  During the first day I suffered a problem that occurs to me with certain strong teas, and aged/ semi aged puerh.  That problem is taste bud fatigue, when everything seems to taste the same or have next to no taste at all.  But through days two and three they lightened up and started becoming incredibly delicious.  I have already enjoyed 14 infusions, and hope to get at least 25-30 before I call it quits.

MTR60sSX

What else amazed me about this old tea, is its dry aroma reminded me more of an aged puerh than any sort of Wuyi yancha.  In fact there was next to no roast aroma, not incredibly surprising as the tea has had more than enough time to mellow out.

Now I am not sure I would repurchase this tea, while it is certainly a wonderful tea, its just one of those things that I am not sure I can justify the price for my enjoyment of it.  While I enjoy great tea, a good deal of my enjoyment in tea, is just taking the time to make tea, as a bit of a time out from the hustle and bustle of life.

2 comments:

Centranthus said...

Were 14 infusions all in one setting, or combined across the three days?

1960's Pu-erh... you, sir, are a lucky man.

Unknown said...

They are spread out over a couple of days, with most of them being on the first day. With later days it takes a lot longer to get the goodness from the leaves, which doesn't mesh quite as well with the time I have dedicated to tea.

Oh and this was a Wuyi Yancha (not a puerh).

Bottom Banner