Search the Sip Tip

Looking for something on this site? Use this search to find it.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Jing Tea Shop Wuyi Fo Shou


Still working through a rather large order I placed from Jing Tea Shop. So far with one exception I have been thrilled with their offerings.

I have had a Fo Shou before but that was done in a Tie Kuan Yin like fashion. This tea somehow still offeres hints of a green oolong, though in my opinion roasting has improved it. I could smell this tea all day, in its spicy and flowery goodness.

But the taste leaves something to be desired. It is buttery, and almost breadlike, like a good rye. But there is also a slightly sour note, which some people like, but I just don't see how it fits in in this tea.


I enjoyed this tea, but did not think it was on par with the other Wuyi teas from Jing tea shop I have had so far. The taste faded quite quickly both the good and the bad parts.... But the Aroma persevered and was enjoyable throughout.


As you may have noticed I have been drinking a fair few Wuyi Yancha's recently, and I hope you are enjoying it as you can expect many more. There are few tea's I find more enjoyable then Yancha.


Wuyi and the mist

4 comments:

Zero the Hero said...

I was hoping I'd get to read someone else's thoughts about this tea. This was actually my favorite non-Si Da Ming Cong Wuyi tea from Jing this season. I think the extra roasting this tea got (compared to the Taiwanese version I've tried from Floating Leaves) really opened up the flavor profile into a bunch of new directions. I think I also enjoyed it in comparison with some of the other light-roast oolongs they've seemed to be favoring this season (Xiao Hong Pao, Rou Gui, Huang Guan Yin, even the Competition Shui Xian). I'm toying with the idea of aging some of this tea to see how lower-roast does over time. Hm.

Unknown said...

Zero,
I do agree that this taste completely different than the very green Fo Shou teas out there. I just think this tea does not get along with me. It was certainly flavorful, I just did not like that particular combination of flavors. It is by no means a bad tea, in fact it met the criteria I look for in a tea, such as a potent soothing aroma, and a pronounced taste.

The way the taste came across just did not work for me.

Adam.

Anonymous said...

Mm. I like these teas that taste like basic foods. Buttery is definitely good for an Oolong. However, if this tea is like bread as well as butter, then it's just an added plus. --Teaternity

Geoffrey Kutnick said...

Hello,

I was looking through your blog and was wondering if you accept press releases? We have some information regarding a new portable tea brewing product we would love to send you. Look forward to hearing you.

Regards,
Geoffrey Kutnick
geoff@kreislermediagroup.com

Bottom Banner