Search the Sip Tip

Looking for something on this site? Use this search to find it.

Friday, August 14, 2009

Andao Wuyi Rare Orchid

Andao Wuyi Rare Orchid

This is the first tea I've had in a long time that has left me completely uninspired. It is either I have not unlocked the secrets of this tea, or as I've known for quite some time, I am not one for floral teas. In fact I do not touch anything with jasmine in the title for that very reason.

I enjoy alot of fruits in my teas, but never horribly floral ones. I do not mind floral smells, which is perhaps why I don't avoid Dan Cong's on principal. And this did have a very nice floral orchid smell. Can't say anything else really jumped out at me.

Uninspired.

While the broth tasted mediocre at best, honestly reminds me of the taste you get if you lick your fingers after playing with flower petals. Something which I do not enjoy in the least. In fact this tea overall reminded me so much more of a Dan Cong than a wuyi, I'm not entirely sure what to think.

2 comments:

Bret said...

Now I don't know what number infusion it was when you took the picture but it looks very pale to me. Maybe, use a lot more tea and quicker infusion times. Wuyi teas can be tricky to brew and there are certain times of the year when they are notorious for going bland and insipid. Summer is typically the time of year when they are to be avoided. Why they go bland in summer has been theorized to exhaustion on other forums but no one to my knowledge has really come up with a definite answer. Then again, maybe it,s just not a good example of a Wuyi Oolong.

Unknown said...

Bret in the tea's defense as to the color, unlike just about every single other picture on my site as to the color of the brew, this one was taken on the very last infusion of it I drank. The color was of the golden on decently done toast in the early infusions.

Though I'm pretty sure the amount of leaves was not an issue, as I have already taken well into the stuffed pot mentality with Wuyi oolongs.

Bottom Banner