Search the Sip Tip

Looking for something on this site? Use this search to find it.

Friday, January 11, 2013

It's Winter, time for Gyokuro

Charaku Yame Gyokuro


It must have been the abnormally warm November and December in Michigan, but I had not thought of breaking out the gyokuro until rather recently.  Coupled with a Testubin that is starting to develop the white frost and a few specks of rust, created a wonderfully candy like beverage.

I do not know if it is gyokuro from Yame that often has the candy like profile, but gyokuro is rather unlike so many different teas in the sense that it can have a near candy like taste.  ( Not as sugary sweet, but when you can start to taste sweetness in most teas, these gyokuro-s are candy like like a good apple has a very nicely defined sweetness.)  Oddly the iron from the Testubin really seems to bring out the sweetness far more than anything else.

Starting tomorrow, and this weekend I hope to really hit the roasted teas, another wonderful winter time treat.  Though in my experience roasted teas like Yancha and High Fire TGY while great in the cold, need a good amount of humidity to really shine.  Without a rainy day or a good bit of humidity outside, they can seem a little lacklustre in comparison.

What is your favorite winter tea or teas?

3 comments:

Kohei said...

It sounds excellent. I wish I had tesubin. I must enhance the taste of my tea much better.

lionel said...

My favourite winter teas are japanese greens. In fact, they are my favourite teas from January 1st to December 31 !
I first thought I would prefer them in spring and summer, thanks to their freshness, greeness...but I realize I also like drinking them in cold and rainy winter. A simple Yame fukamushi sencha early in the morning of a winter cold day : nothing can compare...

Jesse said...

Winter is the time for pu'er and wulongs.

Bottom Banner