Search the Sip Tip

Looking for something on this site? Use this search to find it.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Ippodo Mantoku



This is one of their lower priced Gyokuro's which seems more expensive comparatively as the bags are 100 grams not 50 grams. The Dry leaf smells delicious, everything that I have come to like about Japanese Greens. One thing Ippodo themselves say is that this tea can take warmer water than typical gyokuro.

I think that is generally the case when it comes to less expensive gyokuro, it is close and closer to Sencha in nature and abilities.

In truth I am amazed at the strength of the umami taste in this tea, it seems to be bolstered by the extra tinge of bitterness. Though aroma leaves much to be desired.

It was much the same through the second steep.


But I want to say that this tea is an umami bomb, but it seems to have given up the ghost by the 3rd infusion, I'm going to try and give it a fourth.

2 comments:

Tuo Cha Tea said...

Really nice bowl. Where did you get it?

Tomas

Unknown said...

Tomas,

These were a Hagi Special offer offered by Tea Chat, actually quite neat pieces, as If I wanted to they could be used as a larger sized Chinese tea bowl. But as I have yet to use Hagi for non Japanese Greens. I am using these as Gyokuro bowls.

Adam

Bottom Banner