Search the Sip Tip

Looking for something on this site? Use this search to find it.

Saturday, April 13, 2013

For Those With Large Hands

I have long since known that I have larger hands than most people, it fits as I am a larger person than most people.  It did not occur to me though that it would be a good idea to post a blog about using teaware with larger hands, as quite a bit of the smaller, and more reasonable single person teaware items are designed for people with very small hands. 

Japanese kyusu's are oddly not a problem at all, although my very small one is best handled with a  grip in which the handle sits between your fingers, and your palm rests upon the open end of the handle, and the pour is done with a twist of the forearm. For the most part kyusus are easy to use no matter your hand size.  And example of this kyusu grip:



It is teapots similar to those  you see on western style teapots, except in much smaller sizes on Japanese and Korean teaware. In this instance to avoid awkward proportioned teapots they make the handles smaller also.  Well this can make it nearly impossible to use these teapots in the same fashion you would a larger teapot of that size.  In fact even though it may seem insecure, the best way I have found to handle small teapots with small handles, is to pinch the handles instead of hook the handles with one or more fingers.  Even if your finger can fit in the smaller handle it either feels awkward or places the back of your finger far to close to the teapot containing near boiling water risking burns. An example of this teapot grip ( with my smallest teapot 60ml):



Although the biggest advantage to having big hands I believe comes with the use of Gaiwans.  With gaiwans you have the most versatility possible to use it what ever way you want.  I prefer the three finger method, which allows me to even with massive gaiwans to keep most of my hand a decent distance away from the hot, hot water inside the gaiwan. As shown below:



No comments:

Bottom Banner