Search the Sip Tip

Looking for something on this site? Use this search to find it.

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Not old, but Not Young Puerh

I used to really enjoy 10-14 year old puerh, back when I thought it was the definition of aged puerh.  Lately I have realized even at that age it can still taste quite young, and lack the deep and wonderful qualities I have since come to associate with aged puerh.   This was seen in a 2002 Haiwan HOP puerh today.  Claiming to have leaves from both Yiwu and Menghai regions, even though it is quite brown in color, and brews up a reddish liquor, it is far from aged.

I worked really hard at attempting to describe this tea, all I can say is I enjoyed it through and through so descriptions are somewhat meaningless in this instance.  At this age the teas I feel show off what qualities they have that will persist with age, but most of the flavors that are present when young have mostly faded into the background, while the aged flavors are still in their infancy and have not really developed.  You are left with something that is indescribable, but based on the feelings you can tell if it should be good or bad.

Verdict on this one is good for me, but then again, I am far from a puerh expert, heck I am not even sure I qualify as more than just a puerh dabbler.  Either way I filmed the first few infusions, enjoy!

No comments:

Bottom Banner