Search the Sip Tip

Looking for something on this site? Use this search to find it.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Problems with Tea

Fisherman

If you read this blog, you probably enjoy tea for tea, and for that I am thankful, and feel free to read the rest of this post for a laugh. As this post is 100% serious, but rather laughable when viewed from the perspective of those of us that love tea. So here is a numbered list of the biggest problems with tea that I have found.

  1. Tea is Healthy, I'd much rather have tea be somewhere on the over all level of health as somewhere between coffee and cigarettes, maybe settle for on par with soda (though most bottled teas basically are soda). I mean if tea was as healthy as cigarettes I might have reasons to restrain myself from drinking it as often as I do. But the thing I can not stand is tea being billed as some sort of wonder beverage. It drives me nuts, as the tea loving public that are the backbones of tea forums, and beacons of tea knowledge in the west, often have to answer mundane questions like "Will I get more of compound X if I brew my tea in fashion Y." While I actually have no problem with a person trying to be healthy, it is the fact that many people are saying they don't care about taste, while some of the methods of preparation would produce some nasty concoction I wouldn't want to call tea.
  2. Boston Tea Party, I have no problem with the actual Boston tea party. It is the fact that it had to be tea that was thrown off the ships. While it might have been a waste of tea, and it made tea borderline Taboo in the United States for many many years after that, those actually are not my problems. It is the fact that modern political activists have taken the moniker "Tea Party" as their group thinking that somehow they are fighting a similar war against Taxation that happened in Boston all those years ago. As this is a tea blog, I will have no comment on anything political. But the fact that I can't even have a general google reader news search for "Tea" without coming back with articles mostly on the political organization with maybe 5% of them actually on tea. And Social networking sites such as twitter, have many people flooding the site with the tag #tea instead of tea party.
  3. Tea is Asian! This one is really a joke, but the point behind it is the fact that the languages in Asian countries are completely different than most Western Languages. Do not get me wrong, I feel like getting exposure to languages is great, and that people should be fluent in as many languages as possible. But the fact that the differences between Eastern and Western languages are so great, it is hard to get proper translations of information from websites without being fluent in both languages yourself. Also with the Roman based alphabet being so prevalent across many languages I can begin to sound out most words in most European based languages without fully knowing the language, but I can not look at a Kanji character and be able to guess its pronunciation without already knowing the character which probably means I already know its translation. And not knowing how to pronounce the character makes it virtually impossible to look up a translation to a kanji character.

I hope you enjoyed this post, I felt I should infuse a bit of humor for us tea lovers.


6 comments:

Bearsbearsbears said...

Regarding what you wrote about not being able to translate kanji without knowing the pronunciation, try nciku.com. You can handwrite characters into it, and it gives you a list of possible matches. Very cool way to use a dictionary.

Not sure if the characters will be the same in Japanese as in Chinese (nciku is Chinese), but it might help.

Unknown said...

Jason,

Thank you for the tip, I will have to check it out!

Thank you for the tip

Adam.

Marlena said...

We all need a little levity. You always have an interesting blog.

Philippe de Bordeaux filipek said...

Dear Adam ,

A very interesting blog .
Deep intense ,living .

.Philippe .

Brett said...

Hiya Adam (aka Sip)! Thanks for another cool post.

#1 - I've been asked so many (often crazy) health related tea questions at work. It can get a little "trying" at times but I still just roll with with.

#2 - as an enlightened uber-liberal tea-loving Seattleite... you can be certain that I despise that whole "tea party" bulls***.

#3 - i can't relate to this one too much personally... but I still see your point. This reminded me of a true story. About 3 years back I was training a new girl at the teashop. She was a cool, smart, Asian-American gal... on her first day a clueless old white guy asked me if I'd hired her for quote "authenticity" ... my jaw dropped... I didn't know how to reply so I just said "uh no." ( still see that weird dude from time to time and he still say a lot stupid stuff.)

Gingko said...

This is a good topic! Some other problems I have with tea is: (1) the little 7g mylar baggies are great to keep tea fresh but not exactly environmental friendly; (2) tea is only produced in specific regions, usually half an earth away. One more attachment in life and more carbon foot print in transportation. I am trying to compensate for my "environmental tea sin" by driving less and avoiding bottled beverages :D

Bottom Banner