Search the Sip Tip

Looking for something on this site? Use this search to find it.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Zhi Ming Du He Kai


I was flipping through a list of Puerh samples I have yet to try, and I came across He Kai, which intrigued me simply because I knew nothing about it, Most the other mountains or places I have heard of and red reviews of teas from there. This one is completely new to me.

So as my usual brewing parameters 5 grams in my 60 ml gaiwan. The rinse smells amazing, lots of tropical fruit, and possibly some berry like aromas also.

The aroma of the first infusion is similar, but the real shock, is the flavor is reminiscent of well done toast with butter. As weird as that sounds its strangely inviting. Its slightly acidic, slightly bitter, and buttery.

The second infusion has a much more grain like aroma, possibly because I am really looking for it now. Wow apparently this tea is just starting to wake up, this time its full on orange peels, almost too bitter and acidic.

It really slowly settles down after the second infusion, possibly because I pulled back on steep times, but it seems to be slowly working its way back to the well done buttered toast.

3 comments:

Sir William of the Leaf said...

Hmmm buttered toast tea.
Where did you get this sample?

Unknown said...

Sorry, I forgot to state that I got this from Kung fu Tea Arts on Ebay. He does not usually do samples, but this cake is 8 dollars for the 100 gram cake.

五行雲子 said...

Well, I'm a big fan of buttered toast with my morning cuppa, not so sure about buttered toast *in* my morning cuppa!

Bottom Banner