Search the Sip Tip

Looking for something on this site? Use this search to find it.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

2010 Essence of Tea Nannou

Essence of Tea Nannou 2010

First off I should note that the fact that I acquired this cake this early is a bit of luck, I was a bit late in placing preorders, and as I have a minor love affair with puerh from Nannou-shan, when I saw the list of cakes available and did not see a Nannou I was worried, so I placed my order but inquired if he pressed any cakes from Nannou.


Essence of tea nannou 2010 cake


He said he did, but he was a little concerned about them as the cake did not taste quite like the maocha that he selected, although he did say that the taste tends to change when pressed, and continues to change for a few months after the pressing. But at the time I inquired about it (probably a month after the preorder email went out) he said he thought the cake had improved from where it was when he first tasted it. So that is the background on this cake, now onto my impressions.


Essence of Tea Nannou 2010 Color

So basically I got the cake and my initial impressions were not so good, so I put it away for a month. After a brief conversation with Nada a few days ago, he thinks this tea is starting to become a bit more of what he expected. My impressions of it are still "brew strong."

When brewed strong it becomes very much like puerh we come to know and love, deeply astringent, with that quality that keeps you wanting and desiring another sip. I used to think Nannou was the mountain I had the best chance of picking out of a line up of unmarked cakes. I honestly do not know about that any more, especially after trying a bunch of different mountains in mini series.

But puerh absolutely amazes me in its ability to pull out tropical fruit flavors underneath its "bad tea" initial impressions. All in all if the cake continues to progess like this in the next month or so, I think I will be rather happy.

No comments:

Bottom Banner