Search the Sip Tip

Looking for something on this site? Use this search to find it.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Matcha Smoothies

Yes I am doing something completely outside of character, and almost contradictory to my personal beliefs that tea should be unadulterated if at all possible. But here me out, I am using basically what should be considered Cooking Grade Matcha if it isn't already, and it is an absolutely amazing way to get a kick without brewing an entire session of tea.

I have messed with several recipes, though they all involve matcha and orange juice.

Other things I have found good to add come from the following list:

  • Raspberries
  • Strawberries
  • Bananas
  • Blueberries
  • Blackberries
As any experienced smoothie maker knows (they are a summer weakness of mine), a great thing to do instead of always buying these items fresh (though they are great fresh), is to buy the frozen packs of these fruits often found in grocery stores.

I guess I will file this under, I am so addicted to tea it is making its way into all aspects of my life!

4 comments:

Sir William of the Leaf said...

Matcha Lattes are not bad either!

Kort said...

You should also try them with pineapple, mango and papaya!

Gingko said...

I like this too! I guess it's not adulterating tea, but simply adding some tea to smoothies :D

Vee said...

Haha, I know what you mean, Adam. In my personal tea drinking habits, I almost never add anything to tea (although professionally, it's something I do fairly often). That said, I have always had a love of matcha smoothies.

Gingko, I totally agree -- smoothies are a great vehicle for tea (rather than the other way around). I find that some other powdered teas can be good as a smoothie ingredient, too, even though I avoid them as stand-alone teas.

Recently, I made a list of tea smoothie recipes that includes smoothies made with powdered teas, tea ice cubes, Rishi's masala chai concentrate and cold-brewed yerba mate (not a tea, I know, but it seemed to fit the theme well enough). Personally, I prefer the simplest recipe -- a banana-matcha smoothie with not much in it -- but I found that some less common ingredients (vanilla, dates, peaches, coconut milk) also worked pretty well. If you'd like, you can check out the list here: http://coffeetea.about.com/od/foodmeetsdrinks/tp/Top-Tea-Smoothie-Recipes.htm

Bottom Banner