Search the Sip Tip

Looking for something on this site? Use this search to find it.

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Gaiwan Instructional Video.

Warning I actually narrate this video, so if you ever wondered what I sound like you now get to hear what I sound like through a fairly bad microphone on a point and shoot camera, either way I am taking the cover off of my voice in this video, as I felt it was by far the best way to attempt to explain how I use a Gaiwan when brewing tea.


If I were to go back in time and tell myself how natural it would feel to use a gaiwan when I got my very first gaiwan I would not believe it. Even in this video while concentrating on filming, and honestly looking at what I was doing through a little screen as opposed to real life, the handling of the gaiwan really seemed so second nature to me, I wouldn't be shocked if I really could brew tea in a gaiwan when half asleep.

I hope you enjoy the video, and there are no "crotch shots" In this one, which I do apologize for my last video, I did not realize it was that bad.  The problem is as you can see in this video that table is up against a wall, so I have to do a weird move to check what it is in frame, and last video I did not realize it was pointing as far up as it was.

2 comments:

SubtleSwag said...

I think the explanatory element that your other videos have somewhat lacked were very useful. Using your voice was beneficial.

Now a few questions. First, I have been to several tea shops where the main brewing vessel is a Gaiwan. The servers all seem to like to "agitate" the leaves by somewhat hitting/stirring the water with the lid. Secondly, I have never seen anyone put a "seal" on the Gaiwan; which I find interesting. Any explanation on that one?

Unknown said...

SubtleSwag,

Thank you for the feed back on the voice over, I still for some reason hate my voice, but I will attempt to do a few more. Another reason why I have been holding back on the voice over is I am not the best person to trust for pronunciations of many different teas.

Yes the agitating the leaves is what I think I did when I referenced "playing with the leaves."

While the seal is honestly not needed for short infusions, but when you are doing longer infusions it helps keep the heat in a bit longer. ( Although gaiwans are possibly the worst brewing vessels for keeping heat in a very long time).

Adam.

Bottom Banner