Search the Sip Tip

Looking for something on this site? Use this search to find it.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Yixing Red during a snowy March day

Was cruelly tempted with the weather I love so much on Sunday, and today I am quite annoyed that here in West Michigan we are back to cold and snowy.  Well I dragged myself onto campus this morning only to find out that my morning class was cancelled, and seeing as how I had some errands to run in the middle of the day between classes, why not head straight home and brew up some tea this morning.

Well a nice warming hong cha sounded great, as it always does on these snowy days. Seeing as how I have not filmed a hong cha yet, I decided why not, and set up the camera so all my viewers can see how I brew my red teas.  Enjoy!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some questions from a newbie: is your Yixing pot reserved for Hong Cha or, more generally, for red teas? I've never seen a glass pitcher that size: may I ask where you bought it? Are red teas suitable for re-steeping or not like black teas? Thanks for the video!

Unknown said...

Dialogic,

I think you are getting confused by some terminology as you are treating 3 phrases that are basically the same thing as different items. But yes I do understand its tough to pick up all the lingo quickly. Hong Cha is the romanization of the Chinese words for red tea, which is the name of the style of tea that we in the west know as Black Tea. So Hong cha is the same as red tea, which in turn are both the same as black tea.

That being said the ability for a tea to be re-steeped depends on several factors, the quality, the amount, and implications of each. Long story short a loose leaf tea can often be steeped multiple times, the more tea that is used, and the shorter your initial steeps the more it can be steeped. But then again everyone has a different idea on when a particular tea is "dead" from being steeped to many times.

The glass pitcher I honestly do not remember where I found it, but if you keep an eye on online tea shops out of China or Taiwan, you can often find these shops for sale in some of them. A down side to the glass, they look very dirty very quickly.

Adam.

Bottom Banner