Search the Sip Tip

Looking for something on this site? Use this search to find it.

Friday, March 1, 2013

Koicha-- I believe I can fly!

Let me preface this and the video I post below as saying that I have never been to Japan, or had a tea master (in some sense of the word) make me koicha.  As such its mostly a self taught technique based on reading, viewing pictures posted online, and discussions with a few people that have had such experiences.  I have been told that mine looks a little thin for koicha ( if you can believe it), which should be remedied by using less water, because I can certainly tell you, unless you are inhuman in your ability to handle the chemical cocktail that is strongly brewed tea, I definitely would not use any more tea than what was pictured.

That being said, enjoy a video of me making Koicha (thick matcha tea), then using the scraps in the bowl to whip up some Usacha (thin matcha tea). 


2 comments:

Pat P said...

The Whisking technique isn't bad, although it was quite long!
I've had Koicha prepared by about a dozen different urasenke and omotesenke teamasters, and as you mentioned you aren't using nearly enough tea. I have seen teamasters use roughly 13-17 scoops. Also, you know koicha and usucha are two distinct teas and not just a variation on amount used right?(sorry its not something I can tell from watching the video)

Unknown said...

Pat,

The whisking took so long because I tried to get away without sifting ( big mistake). While this did not show up well in the video it was apparent to me that for quite awhile there were still large lumps that I was trying to break up and mix into the mixture.

How big of a bowl are they making with 13-17 scoops? This was a little on the liquid side but I was purposely using massive scoops. But the general proportions I have heard for Koicha is about 3 times the tea, and less than half the water.

Bottom Banner