Search the Sip Tip

Looking for something on this site? Use this search to find it.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

American Hao 903

The Source of this cake is said to be from the Menghai area, and just to reiterate my views on custom pressings, I feel that they probably are not the absolute best material from these locations (as the best material is probably taken up by very long term contracts, or big buyers in China). But while it may not be the best material on the mountain it usually isn't bad, and it is probably most likely to be from the specified area.

To resort to fairness, and I may redo my reviews since the Latest of the Menghai Recipe cakes, as I was breaking in a new yixing pot I received for christmas and am still getting used to its size and whats needed for brew strength. So I am brewing this in my 60 ml gaiwan, at the strength I'm used to.

The dry leaves smell sweet and honey like.

The aroma of the first infusion is quite interesting, It is orange rinds and honey with a slightly grain like characteristic. This tea is quite nice as a drink now, it has a bit of a bite that quickly fades into a syrup like coating of the mouth with a sweetness that is fruity.

The second steep I also did for 30 seconds, and it produced a similar but more tropical fruit smelling brew. But the leaves are still opening up and definitely did not give it their all in the first steep even with the rinse, as this one definitely is a bit more bitter.


But in my mind the more bitter the tea is the better the sweet aftertaste. So as long as its a bitter that is not over done or just taste plain bad, I like it when my teas are rather bitter.

It honestly seems as the further it goes into the infusions the more pineapple seems to emerge.

I've been pleased with these American hao offerings, and I'm thinking about ordering some of them myself. Though this one seems to become flat and redundant after the 7th infusion or so, I feel that is typical for young stuff.

Longer days ease tension,
While the cold still bites and burns,
but tea warms my heart.
--Adam yusko

No comments:

Bottom Banner