Search the Sip Tip

Looking for something on this site? Use this search to find it.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Excessive use.

Its only upon reflecting the pieces of teaware that I like the most that I've noticed a common theme. I like teaware that shows it has been used, and how much it has been used. I think that is my attraction to Hagi, and Yixings, and my Ceramic kettle, and idea of a Tetsubin and Celedon pieces. All these things take on character with age and have a way to show how much use they have been through.

This seems odd as in society many people stress how nice it is when something is in mint condition, completely unused, and zero sign of wear and tear. But I always examine my Hagi yaki for sings of use and the progress they are taking through the seven stages. And I've been noticing a lot of Celedon pieces in peoples blogs, and the sings of use that they are under going and I'm getting an itch to get some Cceledon pieces.

So I'm curious, do my readers like the effects of age and use on their treasured pieces? Or do they wish they could have stayed like new forever?

From Seven Stages of Hagi

5 comments:

Bearsbearsbears said...

As a puerh drinker, my love for the way objects change with age is self-evident. :)

Maitre_Tea said...

ditto for me, though for anything porcelain I get super neurotic about keeping any porcelain I own clean and without tea stains, to the extent that I give them a bleach bath every couple of days!

Bret said...

I remember when my celadon tea wares first started to fracture and crack. Initially I felt pangs of terror at the sight of these cracks, but with continued use I began to cherish all of these changes in the wares. Im with Maitre on the porcelain though, keep it clean!

Veri-Tea said...

I like aged teaware so long as it's still functional... although sadly my very most favourite and best-pouring teapot, a vintage Crown Lynn from NZ, is badly cracked along the handles so I can't use it any more for fear it will break :(

Zero the Hero said...

I vote yes, but I use the same celadon pitcher and cup for 3/4 of my tea, so eventually the tea stains start taking over outside the cracks. Wouldn't want any flavor interference, so I wipe with a towel when they're still steaming--keeps the extra stains off, but the pieces look mostly the same.

Bottom Banner