Search the Sip Tip

Looking for something on this site? Use this search to find it.

Friday, January 8, 2010

Zhi Ming Du Jin Zhen "Yun Siang" Ripe Puerh


This is a new brand, that I honestly know little about, the stuff I do know comes from the vendor Chinese Kung Fu Tea Art Store. This particular tea is compared (by the brand managers at least) to the classic Menghai 7572. While I will be unable to attest to whether that is true or not, as I an not a big Shu drinker, and have never had the 7572.

I've been airing this tea out gently for the past two weeks, as the little I do know about shu is that when young it often contains the dreaded Wou Di smell and taste. That being said the dry leaf smells surprisingly like dried cherries, with a bit of a wood like aroma (nothing unsual for all puerh).

The rinse has a bit of what I would characterize as the Wou Di aroma, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a 2009 production that did not have that aroma.

I must say though, the aroma of the first infusion is nice, lots of dried fruits, and dried tree bark in there. Well I must say, if this is what shu is supposed to be then I migth have to revise my thoughts on it. It is earthy in taste, but very drinkable. This is like a very mild but aged sheng. But its also got hints of chocolate cookie, and banana.

My biggest problem with this Shu, though its a problem for all Shu, is that you are given little in terms of clues in color, as to when it has been brewed long enough, as the waters already black by the time my 60 ml gaiwan is full.


But pushed it a little harder then I normally would this time, as the taste was rather mild in the first steep. More flavor did come through, though it had a bit of the Wou Di taste to it, but other than that it was nice.

The third infusion I really pushed (not intentionally, just forgot about it for 45 seconds or so). It was still surprisingly good.

So My New Stance on Shu:

Shu puerh will never replace a good Aged Sheng, but it is great when you want the basic experience of Aged Sheng without the dent in your bank account.

No comments:

Bottom Banner