Search the Sip Tip

Looking for something on this site? Use this search to find it.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Chinese Kung Fu Tea Arts Light Roast Tie Guan Yin


I'm hoping this tea turns out to be as good as the last oolong I had from them, the 2001 Aged Tie Guan Yin. The dry leaf smells very fresh, with just a hint of a nutty roasted component, but the leaves look mostly green with just the yellow color you often associate with a lighter roast Tie Guan yin.

If I had to rate this tea off of the smell comming from the leaves after the first infusion, it would be a spectacularly rated tea, while the aroma from the tea broth itself isn't as "wow" it is still good with a fair bit to keep you interested. I smell buttered sweet potatoes, brown sugar, and I believe bamboo. In my mind it is the roasting that brought this tea to life. its buttery but the roasting ads that savory flavor, and probably a hint of sweetness.

If this tea has a fault it is that the taste is somewhat flat, and is far better in the aroma category.

As you can tell from the picture I like my teas on the strong side, and this tea and the aged oolong comes in little packets, and as I only have my small and large gaiwans at my parents house right now, I use one packet for the small gaiwan, so probably 7grams for 60ml.



While I said the taste was a little flat, it does not mean your mouth will not be interested, I'm pondering how to describe this mouth feel which I want to say is either going to be a love it or hate it sort of thing. Its like a light roast attempt at the mouth feel obtained from Wuyi Yancha the what I describe as velvety (soft but coarse), this is coarse but soft would not be the right word to describe the other part of the sensation.

2 comments:

MarshalN said...

This tea doesn't really look like TGY, at least the dry leaves don't.... looks more like a huangjingui or something similar, but the pic of the dry leaves is a bit fuzzy and looks like white balance is off. Where did you get it?

Unknown said...

A relatively new Ebay Vendor "Chinese Kung Fu Tea Art Store." I think I have a link to him in the side bar under "Favorite Vendors"

Bottom Banner