Search the Sip Tip

Looking for something on this site? Use this search to find it.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Yame Sencha "Houga"

This is the Houga Yame High Grade Sencha from Green Tea Japan. This is a rather new store, and I've had brief twitter conversations, and emails with the Owners, both who I feel are doing a great job.






From Tea






The dry leaf aroma is quite unique, more powerful then I ever remember a senchas dry leaf -aroma being. Its sweet and fruity, with a slight hint of an aroma I'm calling "sour." But mind you its the sour you smell from rubarb, so it is not a freshness factor.

The infusions aroma is very sweet, with hints of raw root vegetables. The infusion is crystal clear, which surprised me when I learned that this tea was Chumushi (midsteamed). But the little bits in the bottom of the cup are there because I'm using my Hagi Kyusu which has very large filter holes, and no matter how careful I pour it little pieces come through.

From Hagi in Use


This tea is impeccably smooth, and the after taste is a cooling sweetness that just lingers for quite some time. While the flavor is like a mix of juices from tropical fruits, just very watered down to where you have to search for it, and not have it grab your attention.

The second infusion is a bit more cloudy, but the crystal clear first infusion was really surprising. Its aroma is much more potent and it smells surprisingly like water chestnuts. Its flavor again is mellow with a bit more astringency, I think I started the pour a bit to late, but still its refreshing and invigorating, and an absolutely enjoyable cup.

This tea was very enjoyable from beginning to end, I hope the people at the store keep up the great work.

No comments:

Bottom Banner